"And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time"
T. S. Eliot
Action Ideas Edit
Why it matters
- HowToPopUp, "Want to know how to plan and manage a pop up, how to recycle an empty shop, how to reuse an underused space? The Empty Shops Toolkit was originally produced by the Empty Shops Network for Living Places, but the techniques and tips it includes can apply to any temporary projects in any temporary spaces. This (Empty Shops) wiki includes the text from the original toolkit, updated as part of the Pop Up People project which was funded by Arts Council England with crowdfunding from the High Street Hundred."
- March 29 2007 - Design manual aims to put well-designed residential streets at the heart of sustainable communities, Communities and Local Government
- NightVision Report, The Civic Trust, published November 2006. Research into the evening and night time economy, and options for creating a more inclusive evening, which will offer a safe and welcoming place for all.
- Monitoring housing and neighbourhoods trends 2006, Joseph Rowntree Foundation, September 2006. On housing, the analysis covers availability, affordability, unmet need, security of tenure and environmental impact.
- Creating and sustaining mixed income communities: A good practice guide, Nick Bailey, Anna Haworth, Tony Manzi, Primali Paranagamage and Marion Roberts, June 2006. Available via Joseph Rowntree Foundation website
- Participatory Planning for Sustainable Communities, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (It is difficult to find a date on this publication, but a reference in the appendices suggests the research was done in 2003)
- 'Planning for vital communities' is a publication from the Countryside Agency to help bridge gaps between community-led Parish Plans and Market Town Action Plans and Community Strategies. The publication can be downloaded via the Countryside Agency website
Wanted pages and external links
- Community Led Planning
- DIY Streets, Sustrans
- Civic Voice
- Planning Help Project of the Campaign to Protect Rural England
- The Community Planning Website
- Community Self Build Agency
- Empty Homes Agency
- Association for Environment Conscious Building
- Low Impact Living Initiative
- Open4all Information from the Disability Rights Commission.
- Centre for accessible environments
- Existing Homes Alliance Aims to promote low carbon refurbishment across the UK’s housing stock, in line with the UK's need to cut carbon emissions by 80% by 2050.