Government to work with business on plans to tackle peak oil threat, May 23  Commitment by the Government to work with the private sector on contingency plans to protect the UK and its economy from the growing risk of rising oil prices follows a meeting between Chris Huhne, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, and representatives from the UK Industry Taskforce on Peak Oil and Energy Security (ITPOES). During the meeting, the Secretary of State agreed that the Department for Energy and Climate Change and ITPOES should work more closely together on peak-oil threat assessment and contingency planning. The collaboration should begin with a joint examination of concerns that global oil supply will begin to fall behind global demand within as little as five years – far earlier than previous widely-held assumptions.
- Leading businesses issue five year peak oil wake up call, October 29  Eight leading UK companies have launched a report, The Oil Crunch: Securing the UK’s energy future, warning that a peak in cheap, easily available oil production is likely to hit by 2013, posing a grave risk to the UK and world economy. The warning comes from a broad spectrum of industry (Arup, FirstGroup, Foster + Partners, Scottish and Southern Energy, Solarcentury, Stagecoach Group, Virgin Group, Yahoo). The report from the newly-formed UK Industry Taskforce on Peak Oil and Energy Security is the first multi-company alarm bell to be sounded on peak oil. It sets out a series of practical recommendations for Government, including action to grasp the significant economic and environmental opportunities from a step-change in investment in renewable energy and sustainable transport.
- 50 MPs sign Peak oil Commons Motion and warn government that global oil production may be peaking, May 23 
- UK 'Peak Energy' Tour, Spring 2007 launch, Free Range Activism Website, March 21
- ↑ guardian.co.uk, 10 February 2011
- ↑ transitionculture.org, 24 Mar 2010
- ↑ Make Wealth History, February 10, 2010
- ↑ The Peak Oil Group, May 23rd, 2011
- ↑ All Party Parliamentary Group on Peak Oil, 18 January 2011
- ↑ UK Industry Taskforce on Peak Oil and Energy Security, October 29
- ↑ All Party Parliamentary Group on Peak Oil, May 23