This article needs updating - a more concise introduction is at Open CO2
Update November 2010 Edit
Data.gov.uk describes itself as "home to national & local data for free re-use". Data listed includes Local Authority Carbon Dioxide Emissions, including for example, 2008 Local Authority Carbon Dioxide figures, Published 16 September 2010, with a link to: Local and regional CO2 emissions estimates for 2005-2008 – Full dataset Size: [1.92 MB] File Type: [.xls]
Although data available for reuse is a major step forward in terms of the proposal set out below, there seems to be now an opportunity to focus on making the data, via applications, analysis, visualisation, mapping etc, meaningful enough to citizens and communities.
November 2010: The Guardian have published an interactive map, which shows carbon dioxide per capita emissions for every local authority in the UK for the period 2005-2008. There is also a “disks colored by Region” graph which shows the contribution of each local authority and region to the total, and a sortable table (though undated?)
Openly Local have also produced a UK Councils Open Data Scoreboard, 35 out of 434 local authorities publish open data (but only 30 are are truly open) as of 17 11 10
The DECC main report includes: maps of CO2 emissions per capita by local authority: total (excluding LULUCF ), and for each sector: Domestic, Industrial and commercial, Road Transport and Land use change. "The maps in this report include some data that is reproduced from Ordnance Survey material with the permission of Ordnance Survey on behalf of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office © Crown copyright. Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown copyright and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings." 
Notes about the data Edit
Figures for the years 2005-2007 have been revised so that they are directly comparable with the new 2008 figures.
Additional data sets Edit
National Indicator (NI) 186: Per capita CO2 emissions in the Local Authority area [filetype:xls filesize: 2113.5Kb] Size: [2.06 MB] File Type: [.xls]
Other data Edit
- UK emissions statistics includes also national data, for example historic data going back up until 1990.
- Topic guide to: Climate Change, UK National Statistics
Links provided on data.gov.uk pages.
Related topics Edit
UK Government statistics
- UK National Statistics and the Department of Energy and Climate Change publish statistics relating to CO2 emissions. Local Authority Carbon Dioxide Figures: data for 2008 published 16th September 2010 and Figures for the years 2005-2007 have also been revised so that they are directly comparable with the new 2008 figures
- The National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory website lists 2006 1x1 km CO2 emissions data by Local Authority as being available.
- Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network, climate data
- Mash the State
- "Free our data" (The Guardian, technology section)
- showusabetterway.com - as of March 2009 does not appear to be current
- Debategraph, editable wiki debate visualization tool, includes a climate change (debate) map
- Sandbag, using the power of the internet to open the issue of emissions trading up to public scrutiny