- Australia announces that it will cut greenhouse gas emissions by between 5% and 15% by 2020, from the 2000 levels, December 15  topic
- Victorian government logs last significant stands of Brown Mountain old growth forest, October 29 
- Climate emergency rally, Melbourne. The Climate emergency rally and human sign event was held on Saturday July 5, 2008 in Melbourne, Australia. The rally was organised and attended by more than 50 community groups concerned about lack of government action on climate change. About 5,000 people attended. The rally followed yesterday's release of economist Ross Garnaut's draft report on climate change that warned Australia risked losing natural wonders like the Great Barrier Reef and Kakadu if it didn't act now to combat global warning.  topic
- Australian rivers 'face disaster' - BBC News, June 18  Parts of Australia's Murray-Darling river basin will be beyond recovery unless they receive water soon, scientists warn.
- Much of southern Australia has just experienced an exceptional and prolonged heat wave, the result of a persistent high-pressure system in the southern Tasman Sea, March 20  Adelaide had 15 consecutive days above 35 °C and 13 consecutive days above 37.8 °C (100°F), breaking the previous records of 8 and 7 days respectively.
News Sources Edit
- ↑ Wikinews, December 17
- ↑ BBC news, December 15
- ↑ www.greenlivingpedia.org, Media release on Brown Mountain logging from environment groups, October 29
- ↑ guardian.co.uk, October 27
- ↑ Bureau of Meteorology, September 3
- ↑ greenlivingpedia, July 5, 2008
- ↑ BBC News, June 18
- ↑ Bureau of Meteorology, Australian Government, March 20