- "We All Live Downstream" Frank Carbone Jr.
- "We have frequently printed the word democracy. Yet I cannot too often repeat that it is a word the real gist of which still sleeps, quite unawakened, notwithstanding the resonance and the many angry tempests out of which its syllables have come, from pen or tongue.
It is a great word, whose history, I suppose, remains unwritten, because that history has yet to be enacted. It is, in some sort, younger brother of another great and often-used word, Nature, whose history also waits unwritten." Walt Whitman
- "How often do we "meet," without in fact "meeting" one another, mind to mind and heart to heart?" Rosa Zubizarreta. Open source conference design
- "When you listen to somebody else,
whether you like it or not,
what they say becomes part of you ...
the common pool is created,
where people begin suspending their own opinions
and listening to other people's ...
At some point people begin recognising that
this common pool is more important than their separate pools" David Bohm
- "Democracy is an infinitely including spirit. We have an instinct for democracy because we have an instinct for wholeness; we get wholeness only through reciprocal relations, through infinitely expanding reciprocal relations. Democracy is really neither extending nor including merely, but creating wholes." Mary Parker Follett
- "Complementary currencies can reveal to us that, even in the poorest places, there are vast living assets - ideas, skills, time, love even - that can turn our ideas of scarcity on their heads." David Boyle
- "A few years ago we had a huge exercise in our community where all the villages were talking about their future and where do we go from where we are. As part of that exercise, one of the questions asked was ‘what was their understanding of wealth’? What did they understand by the word wealth? The answers we received were really awe-inspiring. Our children, our forests, our culture, our language, our unity, our sharing and so on. From every one of the 167 villages we work in we got the same answer. And not one single village mentioned money." Stan Thekaekara