India, officially the Republic of India, is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second most populous country, and the largest liberal democracy in the world. India has a coastline of over seven thousand kilometres and borders Pakistan to the west; China, Nepal, and Bhutan to the north-east; and Bangladesh and Myanmar to the east. India is adjacent to the Indian Ocean island nation of Sri Lanka.
Although India has seen strong economic growth over the past few years, the scale of its need remains huge. 76 % of the population lives in poverty, and there are more people living on less than $1 a day in India than in sub-Saharan Africa. 
Wanted pages and external links
|See sustainable projects in India at Appropedia .|
- Local community organizations and nongovernmental groups in the slums of Mumbai and Pune have designed, built, and managed more than 500 public toilet blocks that are safer, cleaner, and cheaper than standard facilities. Source: Worldwatch Institute
- Pune Citizens Environment Forum
- Development Alternatives Group - see also the group's other websites
- Focus on the Global South, non-governmental organisation working in Thailand, the Philippines and India.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
- Worldwatch Institute, State of the World 2007: Notable Trends, January 10, 2007