UK: August, September
This recipe is good for when you have a glut of courgettes. It uses the courgettes as the filler with a fairly simple sauce.
- tomatoes, ideally plum
- mixed herbs, dried or fresh
- sweet pepper
- olive oil
- garlic clove
Note on quantities: The sauce should be a balance between the tomatoes and pepper. Then the sauce and the courgettes should be satisfyingly balanced.
- griddle pan or grill
- top and tail the courgettes and cut into two lengthwise. With a peeler cut off a strip of skin on the other side, so that you can rub the garlic along the flesh of each side.
- finely chop the tomatoes
- cut a sweet pepper to reveal an edge, then with the peeler peel of strips of pepper till you have enough to balance the tomatoes. Chop the strips finely.
- have herbs, picked and chopped if necessary, so that ready to add
- oil the griddle lightly or brush the courgettes lightly with oil then grill till browned and beginning to soften on both sides
- fry the tomatoes in olive oil in the saucepan, and when begin to soften mash slightly, then add the peppers, then the herbs, cook till can mash further to give a fairly thick sauce
- Serve with fried mushrooms
- add a small amount of onion or spring onion to the start of the sauce