- 98.3 per cent of England’s bathing waters met the EC’s minimum water quality standards in 2009, up from 96% in 2008, 17 November 
- Fly-tipping incidents - 1.16 million 2008-09 - down by 9.3%, October 1 
- Quality of rivers in England and Wales best for over a century, September 22 
- MPs call for action to protect scenic countryside from aircraft noise, July 28 
- Euro Commission launches legal case against UK for breach of EU air quality law, January 29  Green MEP for the South East and Leader of the Green Party, Dr Caroline Lucas, has called the Commission’s decision "a shameful indictment of the Government’s misguided and irresponsible commitment to aviation expansion and coal-fired power".
Ideas Bank - Climate change - Environmental wellbeing - Social wellbeing - Economic wellbeing - Transport and Planning - Local sustainability - Community involvement - Global connections - Personal options - Ideas Bank by place - Village pump