This article looks at the actions local councils are taking in response to climate change, (as of July - September 2005) and in particular what information they provide for the ordinary concerned citizen. The scope of this enquiry has been limited to council websites. This article is one of a series - one article for each region of England.
An initial survey was carried out during July - September 2005, with the results included in the initial versions of this article. Please note that contributors are welcome to add information at any time. This means that different parts of the article may be up-to-date to a greater or lesser extent, but all will be at least as recent as the initial survey.
Websites for all councils in the region have been looked at during the initial survey (with the exception of any - no more than one or two - unavailable at the times of searches - see Notes on method below), though in most cases only 'postive' results (some information found) have been recorded.
Results of the initial survey could be compared with results from a similar comprehensive (England-wide) and systematic survey in about a year's time to give a broad indication of how the overall picture is changing.
The overall picture Edit
Of the websites for the 38 local councils in this region, 12 (32%) are listed as having some information which ordinary concerned citizens might easily find, (with a further 3 containing small related items of information). This proportion may be slightly higher than for some other regions of the UK, with the best examples including several webpages and evidence of an inclusive and partnership approach. Although councils may have a webpage on climate change the information provided may not have been updated recently. If a council website includes several relevant webpages it is good if they can all be accessed easily from each other.
- Herefordshire County Council - Carbon Management Action Plan, Decision Details Carbon Management Action Plan. Includes link to pdf document.
- Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council - Climate Change Symposium Advertised for July 2005.
- Shropshire County Council - Climate Change webpage Leads to pages on Climate Change Strategy and Climate Change Projects
- Telford and Wrekin Borough Council - Climate Change webpages
- East Staffordshire Borough Council - (web page on 'Sustainable Development' mentions an Action Plan on Climate Change, but unclear how recent and if accessible via web )
- Lichfield District Council - (Climate change plan listed as currently in development)
- Newcastle under Lyme Borough Council - (free light bulbs, provided by British Gas, given to primary school pupils, March 2005)
- Stafford Borough Council - Will we need another Noah? - Climate Change and Global Warming webpage, last updated 2002
- Staffordshire Moorlands District Council - Climate change webpage Signatory to Nottingham Climate Change Declaration
- Warwick District Council - Low Carbon Lifestyle
- Warwickshire County Council - Climate change webpage, Climate Change Briefing Note Signatory to Nottingham Climate Change Declaration
West Midlands Edit
- Birmingham City Council - Sustainability Forum webpage - Climate change event, 4th October 2005. Climate Change environmental village exhibition held June 2005. Signatory to Nottingham Climate Change Declaration
- Coventry City Council - Sustainability issues - climate change
- Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council - Renewable energy webpage
- Worcestershire County Council - Climate Change webpage, Impacts of climate change in Worcestershire, Worcestershire's Climate Change Strategy - aiming for detailed action plan by the end of 2005. Signatory to Nottingham Climate Change Declaration
Notes on method Edit
(Initial survey) A simple search for 'climate change' was carried out on each local council website. Links identified were restricted to web pages specifically about climate change or evidence of climate change strategies, that could reasonably easily be found by ordinary concerned citizens. PDF and word processor documents have not been included unless these can be accessed from a dedicated climate change page, or another easily found page. Information that appears to be more than 6 months old may not be recorded unless it suggests some current or ongoing activity. One or two websites may have been temporarily unavailable at the time of a search, in which case no information has been recorded. If no search facility could be found, or did not appear to be working properly at the times of searches, no information was recorded.
Links checked Philralph 07:45, 30 Sep 2005 (UTC)