Natural England’s Accessible Natural Greenspace Standard says that everyone home should be within 300 m of an accessible natural green space of at least two hectares (ha) which is equivalent in size to two football pitches. Each home should also have access to:
- at least one accessible 20 ha site within 2 km
- at least one accessible 100 ha site within 5 km
- at least one accessible 500 ha site within 10 km
Natural England broadly defines natural green space as:
- accessible nature conservation areas eg Local Nature Reserves, National Nature Reserves, Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs).
- formal and informal parks, country parks, canals and rivers, unimproved farmland.